Photo is the historic Point Sur Lighthouse. This is typical of the spectacular scenery in the Monterey Bay area and is only a short drive from Hacienda Serena. The lighthouse is now part of the Point Sur State Historic Park and is open to visitors.
- Private Tennis Courts: 1/2 mile. We will supply the code needed to access these courts.
- Closest Public Park: 1/2 mile at the bottom of the road from the house, turn on Angelus and go to park at the end of the street. Within walking, if you don't mind a hill. Has play equipment (swings, slide and plastic animals), picnic tables, barbeques and grass area to sit or play.
- Frog Pond Preserve: Just across the street (Canyon Del Rey) from the above park, with a pond, ducks, a dock to look out over the pond and a lovely 1 mile walk around the circumference. This is very under-used. Most people who live here don't even know about it! Travel back down the street, turn right on Paloma (first right turn), right again, right again onto Via Verde. At the bottom of the hill is Canyon Del Rey. Turn left and immediately park on your right at the kiosk for the Frog Pond Park.
SHORT DRIVES - 5 MILES OR LESS
Wine Tasting: The Monterey Bay area has many fine wineries with tasting rooms which charge a modest fee for tasting. Literature and tickets for free wine tasting at selected wineries will be in the house when you arrive.
Coffee Shops: Try the Carmel Valley Rosting Company and The Press Club on Broadway in Seaside. The closest Starbucks is in a Safeway store 1.5 miles west of the house. The closest drive-through Starbucks is 2 miles from the house. Peets Coffee House is in the Monterey Trader Joe's shopping center in downtown Monterey. There are numerous other coffee shops in the community.
Groceries: Trader Joe's Groceries are located in both Monterey and Pacific Grove, about 5 or 6 miles respectively. Safeway is 1.5 miles west of the house.
Downtown Monterey: Including Portola Plaza, hotels, restaurants, shopping. 4 miles or approximately 6-7 minutes.
Monterey Fisherman's Wharf: Historic wharf with numerous restaurants and shops. 4 miles, approximately 11 minutes.
Shopping: Sand City has Costco, West End Celebration, coffee shops, quaint businesses, a beer tasting club and various chain-store merchants.
Monterey Bay Aquarium: The premier aquarium in the United States, with extensive exhibits based on the sea-life found in the Monterey Bay and surrounding Pacific Ocean. 5 miles or 8-9 minutes drive. Arrive early to avoid waiting.
Monterey Cannery Row: Historic district that was the economic heart of Monterey, now a tourist center with restaurants, hotels and shopping. 5 miles or 8-9 minutes.
Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway: Approximately 5 miles.
OVER 5 MILES
Carmel by the Sea: Shopping, art galleries, wide range of excellent restaurants, the beach and the famous Carmel Mission. Take Highway 1 south to Ocean Avenue and head West on Ocean. 7 miles, approximately 11-12 minutes.
Carmel Valley: Scenic valley drive with wineries and other attractions. Upscale shopping center at intersection of Carmel Valley Road and Highway 1 south. Take Highway 1 South to Carmel Valley Road. 8 miles.
Point Lobos State Natural Reserve: Spectacular coastline scenery, sea-birds, whales (seasonally), hiking and picnics. A photographer's delight! Go early in the day - parking is limited and fills up quickly. Take Highway 1 South. 10 miles.
Big Sur Coastline: Spectacular coastline views, the famous Bixby Bridge and the Point Sur Lighthouse (see photo above). Bring your camera! 26 miles South on Highway 1. Have lunch at the Big Sur River Inn - 31 miles.
Asilomar Conference Center: 7 miles, approximately 8-9 minutes
Pacific Grove: Historic coastal town with shopping and very nice coastal scenery. 6 miles or 10 minutes.
Salinas: Gorgeous drive out Hwy 68 from the house, East 15-20 minutes to Salinas, the "Salad Bowl of the World". See the Steinbeck Center and the Steinbeck House Museum.
Santa Cruz: Take a day trip to Santa Cruz to see the Santa Cruz Boardwalk amusement park, the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf (restaurants and shops), Pacific Avenue shopping, the University of California Santa Cruz, and surfers at Steamer Lane. 48 miles, approximately an hour drive.
Capitola by the Sea: On the way to Santa Cruz, the Capitola Esplanade is a charming waterfront of restaurants, boutiques, beaches and the Capitola Wharf.
The monterey area has many fine golf courses. These are just a short selection of nearby and/or famous courses within a short drive from Hacienda Serena. For more information, go to
- Pebble Beach: Pebble Beach, Spyglass, The Links at Spanish Bay, Del Monte Golf Course and Peter Hay Golf Course. 9 miles, 20 minutes
- Laguna-Seca Golf Ranch: Approximately 5 miles.
- Monterey Pines Golf Course: near the Monterey Fairgrounds (military discounts)
- Rancho Canada Golf Club: near the mouth of the valley, Carmel